Fort Jefferson, Kentucky
Fort Jefferson was a Ballard county community on the Mississippi River about one mile south of Wickliffe. It was founded in 1858 near the site of George Rogers Clark's 1780 fort, which became known as Clarksville, and was occupied until about 1784. The site of the fort, named for Thomas Jefferson, was later used during the Civil War.
Fort Jefferson was incorporated in 1890, but was later dissolved.
The Fort Jefferson post office opened in 1860, but moved to the new town of Wickliffe in 1879. A later Fort Jefferson post office operated from 1891 to 1892.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon