Grahamton was a Meade county town on Otter Creek about 12 miles southeast of Brandenburg. It was established as a mill town about 1814 and named for Robert Graham who opened a steam-powered textile mill there in 1837. (There was as earlier water-powered grist mill upstream on Otter Creek.) Ownership of the Graham mill changed hands several times through Graham, Anderson, and Company; Grahamton Manufacturing Company; Hunt, Bridgeford, and Company; and finally the McCord Company.
Grahamton was absorbed by Fort Knox circa 1940 for the US Army. It became the site of Camp Carlson.
A Grahampton post office opened in 1880, was renamed Grahamton soon after, and closed in 1907.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon