Grange City, Kentucky
Grange City is in Fleming county about 15 miles south of Flemingsburg. It was settled in the mid-nineteenth century and once had a population of 200, a hotel, stores, mills, and other businesses. The source of the name is obscure. It may be named for a local Grange family, although there doesn't seem to be much evidence for that. The Grange fraternal organization was founded in 1867 and didn't arrive in Fleming county until about 1875, and the name of the town was probably in use before that time, so that probably wasn't the source of the name. The Grange City post office opened in 1876 and closed about 1959.
The Grange City or Hillsboro covered bridge is located northwest of town on the road to Hillsboro.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon