Hardburly is a Perry county community on Jakes Branch about six miles northeast of Hazard. Hardburly was established as as a coal camp for the Hardy Burlingham Mining Company and named for the company. It was a station on the Louisville and Nashville Railroad called Burlingham Station and later renamed Hardburly. The population peaked in the 1920s or 1930s at about 1,700.
The Burlingham post office opened in 1918, was soon after renamed Harburly, and closed in 2011.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon