Hargett is an Estill county community on Polecat Creek about five miles northwest of Irvine. A Woodwards Creek post office opened in 1879, was renamed Sams for a local store owner in 1886, and moved to the nearby Louisville and Nashville Railroad's Harg Station and was renamed Harg in 1914, just before closing. A Hargett post office opened in 1915 and closed in 1943. Harg and Hargett come from local residents.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon