Leighton was an Estill county community about five miles south of Irvine. The source of the name isn't known. The area was also known as Big Spring. The Leighton post office opened in 1907 a short distance away on Ross Creek in Lee county. It moved to Estill county about 1914, relocated in the area several times, and closed in 1956.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2020 David C. Elbon