Kentucky Atlas and Gazetteer

Monterey, Kentucky
Monterey, Kentucky

Monterey is a southern Owen county town near the Kentucky River on Cedar Creek about ten miles south of Owenton. The area was settled around 1805 by James and Alexander Williams and the site was first known as Williamsburg. Monterey was officially established in 1847 and incorporated in 1954. A Mouth of Cedar Creek post office opened in 1817 and was renamed Cedar Creek in 1825 and might have moved to the site of the town at that time. In 1847 it was renamed Monterey for the Mexican War battle. The post office has since closed. The population in 2010 was 138.

The Kentucky River Lock and Dam 3 at Monterey was completed in 1842. The downstream lock 2 is at Lockport and the upstream lock 4 is at Frankfort. Lock and Dam 3 is maintained by the Kentucky River Authority.


Kentucky River Authority Lock and Dam Number 2 To Stamping Ground, Kentucky To Gratz, Kentucky To Flag Fork, Kentucky To Lockport, Kentucky To Natlee, Kentucky To Peaks Mill, Kentucky To Gratz, Kentucky To Owenton, Kentucky To Hesler, Kentucky Monterey, Kentucky Monterey, Kentucky Kentucky River Wildlife Management Area Kentucky River Wildlife Management Area Kentucky River Wildlife Management Area Kentucky River Wildlife Management Area Kentucky River Wildlife Management Area
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER

© 2022 David C. Elbon