Rock Haven, Kentucky
Rock Haven was a Meade county town downstream from the mouth of Otter Creek on the Ohio River, about 10 miles east of Brandenburg. The current location of the community is about a mile south of the River. It was an important nineteenth century river port and was Rock Haven Station on the Louisville, Saint Louis, and Texas Railway, which was constructed beginning in 1886.
The Rock Haven post office opened in 1848 and closed in 1956.
In 1934 the Federal government purchased about 3,000 acres in the area, including the town, for Otter Creek Park and the town was demolished. In 1947 the Federal government gave the park to the city of Louisville, which operated it until 2009. In 2010 the park was transferred to the Commonwealth of Kentucky, which now operates it as the Otter Creek Recreation Area.
Rock Haven is probably near the site of the proposed town of Ohiopiomingo.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2022 David C. Elbon