Sodom was a Scott county community on South Elkhorn Creek about 11 miles southwest of Georgetown. It was established circa 1825 around the mill of George Ware. A village of about 150 grew there, eventually including a tannery, cotton and hemp factories, and a distillery. The railroads which came through in the following decades bypassed the town and it was eventually abandoned. The story of its naming is not known and Sodom may not have been its original name. The mill may have lasted longer than the rest of the town and was finally owned by a Mr. Fisher.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2022 David C. Elbon