Southgate was a Campbell county town about four miles southwest of Alexandria at the mouth Pond Creek on the Licking River. It was established about 1822 as a site for new county seat close to the center of the county as it then existed. The county seat was instead moved to Visalia, so Southgate was abandoned. The name was from Richard Southgate, who owned the land at the time. The post office opened in 1822 or 1823 and closed in 1824.
An earlier town had been authorized for the site by the legislature in 1806. It was to be called Salisberry, but was never established.
The existing city of Southgate is about eight miles north, outside of Newport.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon