Stillwater is a Wolfe county community on Stillwater Creek about four miles northeast of Campton. The name comes from the creek, which is very slow moving. There were mills in the area by the early nineteenth century, with William B. Rose opening the first.
The Still Water post office opened in 1860, closed in 1865, and reopened as Stillwater in 1875. It moved several times and may have been called Williamsburg or Williamsburgh for a short time. It closed in 1956.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2022 David C. Elbon