Sturgis is a Union county town on the Tradewater River about 10 miles southwest of Morganfield. It was established in 1886 by the Cumberland Iron and Land Company. The source of the name is not clear, but could have been a local resident. Sturgis was incorporated in 1890. The Sturgis post office opened in 1888. The population in 2010 was 1,898.
Sturgis now also encompasses the Commercial Point or Buffalo City community on the Tradewater. The Buffalo City name probably comes from salt licks there that attracted bison and other animals. Commercial Point was a busy river port port in the nineteenth century. Commercial Point was incorporated circa 1870, but was later dissolved. There was a Commercial Point post office from 1872 to 1903.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2022 David C. Elbon