Tiptop was a Magoffin county community about eight miles south of Salyersville on a hill overlooking the Laurel Fork of Oakleys Creek. It was established by the Tip Top Coal Company which began mining in the area about 1924 at the top of the ridge. Underground mining stopped about 1957. There has been strip mining in the area in later years.
The Tiptop post office operated from 1926 to 1957.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2022 David C. Elbon