Tyrone is an eastern Anderson county commmunity along the Kentucky River about three miles east of Lawrenceburg. The site was first known as Streamville. In 1869 James Ripy built a distillery which he named Tyrone for his home county in Ireland. A post office opened as Coke (named for its postmaster) in 1882, but it was renamed Tyrone in 1893.
The population of Tyrone reached nearly 1,000 before Prohibition closed the distillery. The distillery later reopened (it is now owned by Austin-Nichols, the makers of Wild Turkey), but the town never recovered.
In 1888 the Southern Railway built Young's High Bridge over the Kentucky at Tyrone. It no longer carries rail traffic and is being redeveloped for recreational uses.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2018 David C. Elbon