Willow was a Lee county community on the Kentucky River about eight miles west of Beattyville. It was the site of the Willow Shoals railroad station and near the Kentucky River Lock and Dam 13. The Willow Shoals post office opened in 1905, was renamed Willow the same year, closed and reopened at least once, and finally closed in 1956.
Lock and Dam 13 was completed in 1915. The lock was closed in 1999. The downstream lock 12 is at Ravenna and the upstream lock 14 is at Heidelberg. Lock and Dam 13 is maintained by the Kentucky River Authority.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon