Wyoming was a Bath county town about eight miles northeast of Owingsville on the Licking River at the mouth of Slate Creek. It was established in 1820 on land belonging to Thomas Owings. The source of the name is not known. It could come from the Wyoming Valley in Pennsylvania. The population once exceeded 300 and there was a hotel, mills, stores, other businesses, and a ferry across the Licking. The town was destroyed by fire in the 1880s and never recovered. The Slate post office opened before 1830, was renamed Wyoming in 1853, and closed in 1912.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2020 David C. Elbon