Campbellsburg is a Henry county city about six miles north of New Castle. A settlement that may have been known as Campbellsville, named for a local family, was established as the town of Chiltonsville, named for Charles Chilton, in 1840 and quickly renamed Campbellsburg. A second settlement grew up east of the old town around the railroad when it arrived in 1869. This lead to the establishment of the town of New Campbellsburg, also known as Campbellsburg Station, in 1876. New Campbellsburg has since expanded to encompass most of the old town and is now known as just Campbellsburg. Chiltonsville was incorporated in 1840 and shortly renamed Campbellsburg. New Campbellsburg was incorporated in 1876. A post office opened in the area as Benevola in 1830 and was renamed Campbellsburg in 1840. The population in 2010 was 813.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2018 David C. Elbon