Ceralvo was an Ohio county town on the Green River about eight miles southwest of Hartford. The source of the name is obscure, but it may come from the Spanish word for deer or from the Portugese for white hill. Ceralvo was a river port, including a ferry, and the town was laid out in 1851 on a hill above the river. It began to decline when the railroad arrived in nearby Rockport, and most of the remaining town was destroyed by a flood in 1937.
Ceralvo was incorporated in 1870, but later dissolved.
The Ceralvo post office opened in 1855 and closed in 1944.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon