Evanston was an eastern Breathitt county mining community near the Spring Fork of Quicksand Creek about 25 miles east of Jackson. Mining was done by the Pond Creek Pocahontas Company and later the Island Creek Coal Company. It was named for Everett J. Evans of Paintsville. The mine caught fire in the 1960s and was sealed. In more recent years there has been strip mining in the area and most of the old community is gone. It was on the Big Sandy and Kentucky River Railroad, now the Dawkins Line Rail Trail.
The Evanston post office operated from 1950 to 1974.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2022 David C. Elbon