Grayson Springs, Kentucky
Grayson Springs was a spa in Grayson county about four miles southeast of Leitchfield. The sulphur springs near Bear Creek were well known to the early settlers and the first hotel at the site was built circa 1830 by James Clarkson. At its peak about 1900 the resort included four hotels with a total of about 600 rooms. There was a railroad station about three miles away in what is now Clarkson. The large hotels were gone by about 1930, victims of fire. The only remaining building is the old bowling alley.
The Grayson Springs post office opened in 1841 and closed in 1933.
Saint Augustine Catholic Church was established nearby in 1815.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2022 David C. Elbon