Lewisport is a Hancock county city near on the Ohio River about eight miles west of Hawesville. It began as a river landing known as Little Yellow Banks, no doubt a reference to nearby Owensboro, but the town was established as Lewisport, named for John Lewis, an early settler. Lewisport was incorporated in 1844. The Lewisport post office opened in 1844. The population in 2010 was 1,670.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2018 David C. Elbon