Lily is a Laurel county community about six miles south of London on Laurel River. It was perhaps named for flowers found by early settlers in the area. It was a station on the Louisville and Nashville Railroad and coal mining arrived with the railroad circa 1880. Timber was also an important industry. The White Lilly post office opened in 1855 and closed in 1880. The Lily post office opened in 1881.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2021 David C. Elbon