Lloyd is a Greenup county community on the Ohio River a few miles north of Greenup. Settlement in the area began by 1810 at the mouth of Smiths Branch, named for Godfrey Smith, and the community was known by that name. A settlement called Biggs Landing was established there in 1843 by William Biggs.
The Oliver post office operated a mile down the Ohio from Smiths Branch from 1913 to 1923. Olivers Station on the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway was located there as well. The nearby post office of Lloyd opened in 1930 as Riggs and was renamed Lloyd in 1952. It closed in 2004.
Near Oliver was the Ohio River Lock and Dam 30. The upstream dam 29 was near Catlettsburg and the downstream dam 31 was near Firebrick.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon