McAfee is a Mercer county community about six miles north of Harrodsburg. It was within the land of the McAfee brothers, who arrived about 1773. They sometimes referred to the area as Eldorado. The town was established in 1851. The original McAfee Station was probably a little west, closer to the Salt River. The McAfee post office opened in 1849, was briefly renamed Eldorado, then back to McAfee in 1850. It closed and reopened at least once in the nineteenth century and is now closed.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2018 David C. Elbon