Pittsburg is a Laurel county community just north of London. Mainly a coal town, it was named for the local Pitman family and the city in Pennsylvania. The Pitman and McNeill families arrived in the early twentieth century and owned much of the land that was eventually mined. Pittsburg was incorporated in 1884 but was later dissolved. The Peacock post office opened in 1882, was renamed Pittsburgh in 1883, and the spelling changed to Pittsburg in 1894.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2021 David C. Elbon