Uniontown is a Union county town on the Ohio River about five miles north of Morganfield. Settlements were established on the site by 1790 and were variously known as Mouth of Highland, Carthage, and The Rocks. Adjoining towns called Francisburg and Locust Port were incorporated by 1839 and were combined to form Uniontown in 1840. It was once a busy river port including a ferry, but it was bypassed by the railroad and began to decline. It suffered a major tornado in 1932 and flooding in 1937.
The Locust Landing post office opened in 1834, was renamed Locust Port in 1836, and Uniontown in 1842.
The population in 2010 was 1,002.
About three miles downriver from Uniontown are the the John T. Myers Locks and Dam, constructed from 1965 to 1977. They replaced the old Ohio River Lock and Dam 49. The old upstream Lock and Dam 48 was near Geneva and the downstream Lock and Dam 50 was near Fords Ferry.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2022 David C. Elbon