White Sulphur, Kentucky
White Sulphur is a Scott county community at the junction of Ironworks Pike and the Frankfort-Georgetown Road (now US 460) about eight miles west of Georgetown. It was established in 1786 by settlers from Maryland and once included a post office, tavern, and a resort at the nearby springs which gave the town its name. A Tarlton post office opened in 1837, was renamed White Sulphur in 1838, and closed in 1902.
From 1831 until it closed in 1842, the Choctaw Academy, established near Great Crossing in 1825, was located nearby on Richard M. Johnson's White Sulphur Spring Farm.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2022 David C. Elbon