Claysville is a northeastern Harrison county community on the Licking River at US 62 about 12 miles northeast of Cynthiana. It was established about 1800 as Marysville, named for the wife of Benjamin Harrison, for whom the county was named, and was once an important river port for tobacco and other products. It was incorporated as Claysville, honoring Henry Clay, in 1821. It was later dissolved. The Marysville post office opened in 1816 and was renamed Claysville in 1825. It closed in 1917.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2018 David C. Elbon