Dawson Springs, Kentucky
Dawson Springs is a Hopkins county city on US 62 at the Tradewater River about 11 miles southwest of Madisonville. The site was known as Tradewater Bend and when the Elizabethtown and Paducah Railroad arrived in 1872 it established the Tradewater Station. It was later renamed Dawson, for the owner of the land, and after mineral water was found it became known as Dawson Springs. Dawson City was incorporated in 1882 and was renamed Dawson Springs in 1898. The Dawson post office opened in 1872 and was later renamed. The population in 2010 was 2,764.
Dawson Springs has been designated a Kentucky Trail Town. The Pennyrile Nature Trail, a hiking and mountain biking trail, connects Dawson Springs with the Pennyrile Forest State Resort Park, about 12 miles away.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2018 David C. Elbon